We are for a Michigan that respects and protects all its citizens, that celebrates diversity and nurtures the human potential in each of us.
We believe that Women’s Rights are Human Rights and Human Rights are Women’s Rights. We must create a society in which women – inclusive of African American women, Native women, poor women, immigrant women, disabled women, Muslim women, lesbian queer and trans women – are free and able to care for and nurture their families, however they are formed, in safe and healthy environments free from structural impediments.
To that end we support the following:
- Amending the Elliott Larsen Civil Rights Act to include sexual orientation and gender identity
- Passing the stalled legislation that would allow no-reason absentee voting
- Changing the way Michigan electoral college votes are awarded from winner-take-all to a proportional allotment. Every vote should count.
- Creating automatic voter-registration tied to state id and driver’s license renewal
- Increasing funding and support to our public schools, particularly schools in low-income areas.
- Promote evidence-based practices for Restorative Justice and Behavioral Intervention in schools, and reform / eliminate use of suspension and expulsion to help children learn and grow and to disrupt the school-to prison pipeline.
- Welcoming and promoting immigration and refugee resettlement in Michigan
- Justice for Flint and other communities of color that have been victimized by emergency management and governmental neglect and abuse, both in the courts and through providing resources
- Non-partisan redistricting to end gerrymandered
- Raising the minimum wage to be a living wage (where 40hrs is well above poverty threshold) and linking minimum wage to cost of living/poverty threshold to ensure it stays that way.
- Protecting and strengthening women’s reproductive rights and access to women’s health services. Making sure contraception and abortion stay safe and legal, and become more accessible in the state.
- Supporting and encouraging Sanctuary Cities, legislative action that makes Michigan a Sanctuary State
- Criminal justice reform to reduce sentences for nonviolent offenses, and to promote rehabilitation (education, job training and placement, mental health) services both during and after incarceration to end the revolving door.